Mission:

The Lake Mills – Aztalan Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation and education of local Pioneer and Ancient Native American history.

Opening of Aztalan Museum in 1942
Opening of Aztalan Museum in 1942

press to zoom
Inside Aztalan Museum
Inside Aztalan Museum

press to zoom
IMG_20140523_160730_074
IMG_20140523_160730_074

press to zoom
Opening of Aztalan Museum in 1942
Opening of Aztalan Museum in 1942

press to zoom
1/14
© Copyright

$10.00

Individual Annual Membership

$15.00

Family Annual Membership

$100.00

Lifetime Membership

Upcoming Events ...

Monthly Board meeting held on the 3rd Monday at 6pm at the City Hall, at a small meeting room on second floor unless an election to be held the next day in which alternative date may be selected. Contact Robin Untz for more information about monthly meetings.

June 4th and 5th, 2022, 12noon-4 pm  Opening Weekend at Museum for the 2022 Season- 80th Anniversay of the Museum Site !

December 11 2021, WWII Event at Hoard Museum


 July 17, 2022 Aztalan Day at museum site. More information to come.

 October 2022 mCemetery Walk at Rock Lake Cemetery. More information to come.

 

 

Lake Mills History
Aztalan History
The Museum Site

Lake Mills was a place some called Keyesville and was part of Aztalan Township in early pioneer history. Today Lake Mills is a showcase growing community with parks on Rock Lake, access to I-94, a historic downtown and other assests. Lake Mills is a place where visitors always return.

Aztalan, a name derived from a ancient Aztec tradition, was a Native American village hosting a blending of Mississippian & local culture. It later became a bustling pioneer center, and is now a wonderful memory of the past.

The Museum site opened in 1942, a year after the Society was founded. It began with the restoration of the 1852 brick Baptist Church which now serves as the museum and is the last structure from the pioneer age of Aztalan. Several other structures were moved to the site from the area in order to preserve their history, in addition of the 1917 one room school house purchased by the Society which stands to the west of the museum.