The Lake Mills Preservation Guild is a recently formed sub-group of LMAHS made up of community members with the mission to Preserve and Share the Unique Character of Lake Mills Historic Sites, Buildings and Heritage.
With the newly designated Historic Districts our community has the opportunity to benefit from their formation through increased tourism, grant opportunities for property owners and overall appreciation and enjoyment of our rich heritage.
Individuals are welcome to join the Guild to support the mission through volunteerism, education, organization, and fundraising activities.
Interested individuals may contact Robin Untz, LMAHS President at (920)728-2685 or at
All Three Districts have received State designation as of December 2018. Waiting for National designation to be determined Spring of 2019.
Lake Mills Downtown Commercial Historic District:
"The Lake Mills Downtown Commercial Historic District consists of the large Village Commons and portions of six city blocks that together form the historic downtown core of the city of Lake Mills.
The district contains the park and 44 buildings, 30 of which face onto the 100 and 200 blocks of the north-south running N. and S. Main streets, and 13 of which face onto the 100 block of the east-west-running E. Lake Street and the 100 and 200 blocks of W. Lake Street. These two streets were historically the most important commercial thoroughfares in the city and these 44 buildings constitute a coherent, visually unified grouping that contains most of the surviving intact nineteenth and early to mid-twentieth century commercial buildings that remain in this historic and highly important section of the city" Timothy F. Heggland, Historian for the National Register of Historic Places Registration nomination.
Mulberry Street Residential Historic District
"The Mulberry Street Residential Historic District is a small, but architecturally distinguished and highly intact, grouping of buildings located in the historic heart of the city of Lake Mills that is comprised of 11 single family residences and a single church.
These 12 buildings are situated on both sides of a two block-long stretch of the northeast/southwest-running Mulberry Street. The southwest end of the district begins one block northeast of Lake Mill’s historic downtown commercial district.
The two earliest contributing houses in the district are fine, cream brick examples of the Italianate style that were built in 1853 and 1854. There are two more fine cream brick examples of this style in the district that were built in 1869 and 1879, and the district also contains an excellent cream brick example of the Second Empire style that was built in 1877. In addition, the district contains four excellent examples of the Queen Anne style that were built between 1893 and 1904, and an excellent Craftsman style house having Tudor Revival-influenced features, built in 1905".Timothy F. Heggland, Historian for the National Register of Historic Places Registration nomination.
South Main St
"The South Main Street Residential Historic District consists of approximately two residential blocks located south of the historic commercial downtown of Lake Mills, in Jefferson County. South Main Street (WIS 89) runs on a north-south axis through the center of Lake Mills. Residential properties within the District are located on the east and west sides of the street, on varying sized lots. South Main Street is lined on both sides with trees, a narrow grassy terrace, and sidewalks. Located between 264 and 308 South Main Street on the east side of
the road, but not a part of the District, is the Lake Mills Fish Hatchery.1
The District contains 28 buildings, of which 23 are contributing and 5 are noncontributing to the significance of the District. Contributing resources were constructed between 1843 and c.1920. Early buildings were
distributed throughout the District on large lots. The 1843 Captain Joseph Keyes House and farm property, which comprised the earliest residence in the District, occupied much of the east side of South Main Street. By the late 1870s a number of homes were scattered on the west side of the road. The majority of the District’s homes were built in the 1880s and 1890s, occupying more uniform lots on the east and west sides of South Main Street, and the remainder filled in during the early twentieth century. These properties are primarily single-family residences, with the exception of the Cottage Inn Hotel (265 South Main Street), which has been converted into an apartment building. Additionally, a few of the homes either began as, or have been converted
into, duplexes. Houses throughout the District are large; a good proportion of them measure two or two-and- one-half stories. Contributing houses display their original massing, form, style, and ornamentation. Styles represented are among some of the most popular in Wisconsin dating to the period of significance, including examples of Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, and Neoclassical Revival style architecture. Even though many homes in the District are not pure expressions of a particular architectural style, displaying more modest stylistic elements, they do feature quality materials and workmanship throughout." Angela Hronek and Emily Pettis, Cultural Resource Specialists for the National Register of Historic Places Registration nomination